You might have come across an errant error message Location is not available whenever you try to open any folder, file or application. The main cause of this error message is bad/corrupt registry hives, or corrupt ACLs. The problem is easily fixable but I know many technicians or computer user who generally go ahead and perform either repair installation or complete clean installation of operating system to fix this problem. Let me guide you to fix the problem without performing repair or clean installation of Operating System. Below is the snapshot of the error message.
Below are methods which we can perform before going to repair/corrupt operating system.
- Reboot your PC and press F8 to get Advanced Boot Options and select Last Good Configuration and boot Windows normally.
- If it doesn’t help, restore your system to recent checkpoint which are created automatically by your computer.
- Run Command Prompt as Administrator and execute the following command
- Now log off and log on again. If it doesn’t work, jump to step 3.
- Run Command Prompt as Administrator and execute the following commands
chkdsk /r /x
(It checks hard disk for errors and recovers readable information.)
- Press Y to perform check at next start up and reboot your PC. (Remember not to touch your computer’s keyboard or mouse as this may bypass CHKDSK process while system reboots again)
- Let the CHKDSK finish and repeat step 1 again and this time it will work.
Enjoy the easy troubleshooting and say bye to the error mesage.